Let’s sell all our worldly goods, house included, to fund the trip of a lifetime. Buy a Motorhome and travel the UK and Europe.
The ‘Dream’ above is still the general end goal but we are not sufficiently funded to just go do it without a care, however, we do see a very real opportunity to retire early if we leave the material world behind and try not to take our house into the afterlife.
- We are not ready yet
- We still have two grown children at home (and quite happy about that)
- We are locked into mortgage rate till end 2018
- Our ‘Cash’ worth today (age 50) would not see us to retirement (age 67)
- Downsize and be mortgage free (children keep a smaller roof over heads)
- Go seasonal at work (possible) to allow extended holiday trips (eg 6months)
- Forget motorhome dream (high initial outlay) and stay with caravans
There is much more to think about not mentioned here and the decision will not be rushed or reckless. We imagine that ultimately some form of bricks and mortar will remain, however small, as a place called home will provide some security in the event of bad fortune, disasters, ill health or death (what a pleasant blog).
We have normally been quite ‘risk averse’ but quitting the rat race is a worthwhile target and this will be happening in some form by the time or before we hit 55.
As a Doctor recently said to one of us, “If you quit your job will you die?”… “No” …”If you quit your job will you be living in the street” …”No” … “Then do what is right for you”